In IELTS general training module, you are suppose d to write formal, semi-formal or informal letters. It is always a good idea to remember some of the sentences in your letter because usually, depending on the type of letter, you will use these sentences.
Informal Letter Beginnings
Let’s take a look at some of these useful beginnings for formal letters first.
1. It’ll be great to see you again after so long! (This is used when you’re meeting one of your friends after a fairly long time.)
2. I’m really sorry about the misunderstanding and I’m sure it won’t happen again (Semi-formal or informal – apology letter)
3. It feels such a long time since I saw you. I hope this summer’s been going well for you.
4. Sorry I haven’t written for ages, but I’ve been up to my ears in work. (Informal letter)
5. Dear Peter, Thanks for the invitation. (Responding to an invitation by a friend)
6. Thanks for your letter. It was nice to hear from you after such a long time. (Replying to a friend)
7. I must tell you about a new movie I saw last week. (Giving information letter)
8. I’m just writing to let you know how sorry I am about missing your anniversary party. (Letter of apology to a friend)
Formal Letter Beginnings:
OK. Now, let’s look at some of the sentences for formal letters.
1. I am a student at…… enrolled in…… course.
2. Thank you for your invitation to the party on Wednesday, June 5.
3. I am writing to advise you of the loss of my credit card.
4. It is with deep regret that I must inform you…
5. Would it be possible to arrange a meeting to discuss this issue?
6. I am writing to request permission to use ….
7. I am writing in response to your letter requesting information about…
8. I am writing in response to your advertisement concerning…
9. I am writing to express my dissatisfaction with the meal I had at your restaurant last week.
10. I would like to inform you about…
You can see here that there are so many ways to introduce the topic and give proper tone to your letter. Of course, you can yourself feel the tone when you read the above sentences. Don’t you?
I recommend you to look at these sentences once before you start writing any letter during your initial preparation phase. That way you will start making your own sentences with some of the words borrowed from above list.I hope you enjoyed this post. If you did, please share it. Please subscribe to my blog if you do not want to miss any of my future posts.